Thursday, May 3, 2007

Time for kids(ch 5)


Goal: The website is for a weekly classroom news magazine that motivates kids to read. The issues cover a wide range of real-world topics kids love to learn about. The website also provides the materials.

Presentation: There are sections for k 1-6 learners, including Worksheets, Mini-lessons, Graphic Organizers, the news part, and the small games.

“Worksheets” is a kind of teaching resources for parents or teachers to have some materials to teach.
“Mini-lessons” includes lots of activity instructions. Each lesson provides the questions as the pretext, then the activity and the part for kids to think. The last is the advices for extensive learning.
“Graphic organizers” is also the teaching resources, providing some graphic papers for kids to fill up the graphic papers with thinking.
The news part provides articles with the related activity sheets and materials for download.
The games are related to the reading and questions and information behind are provided at the same time.

Appropriateness: I think it’s more like to provide scaffolds for teachers or parents to use in their teaching. The focus of this website is still the magazine, but there are still materials for reading and activities. Learners can use those materials in learning which fits their degrees. Especially the mini-lessons part, I think it can provide a complete learning process.

Outcomes:
I think the website can be used independently, and it can also be used with the magazine to enlarge the range of learning so that the learning can be more complete and integrated.

Evaluation: The games part for learning includes the questions and the answers with more information below. After the learners answer the question, the correct answer and feedback words will show up with more information about the topic, then, the learner can go on to the next question.


Notes: Though the website is made for the magazine, I believe there’s still the scaffold for people to help themselves in learning. Like the readings, is made for kids with the topics they may have interest in, and the Worksheets, Mini-lessons, and Graphic Organizers, are all the useful and interesting resources in language learning. Although it is not organized as a whole, the materials are still great and convenient to help kids in learning.

5 comments:

Cherrie said...

Oh!
I am really happy to know there is such a Time Magazine for kids!
Before visiting your blog, I only know Time Magazine and Time for Students.I still remember that the later helps me a lot when I was in the senior high school.And I strongly recommend that anyone who thinks Time Magazine is too difficult can give Time for Students a chance. Give it a try, and you will discover another good tools to facilitate your learning!

Christina said...

Wow! I never know that there is Time magazine for kids! For time magazine seems to be really professional and hard to read. To tell the truth, there are still many vocabulary I don't know when reading it. Hah! Anyway, that is not the point. Because my parents would like my sister and I to teach my younger sister and bother English, I think this would be a good resource for our teaching.

vercy said...

haha, yap.
but we have passed the time to read
time for kids, right?
we should move on!!
though time for kids is cute and I really like it!

Anonymous said...

HELLO, I WOULD LIKE SOME HELP, MY SON HAS TROUBLE READING IN ENGLISH. I WILL APRECIATE SOME TIPS FROM ANY OF THE VISITORS OF THIS WEBSITE

Anonymous said...

IL PADRINO, try to visit Mingoville at www.Mingoville.com It is a free English learning program for kids. It is unique for its fun and colorful concept. Your son will love it.

Time Magazine for kids sounds great!

Excellent blog! Thanks for being out there!